3 network in HK

Another one of those items where a small difference makes a big difference.
I'm in Hong Kong at the moment, and purchased a local Sim card at the airport to have internet capability on my phone while here in China.  The best deal at the moment is from the network called "3", which basically comes down to a little above 2 Euros per day, flatrate.
The trick is to get it to work!  As this data plan is heavily used for Iphones and Ipads, the SIM card is a microsim.  If you do not have an Apple product the SIM comes with an adapter for "normal" phones.
And that is where the difference is.  As the SIM is for Apple phones, the APN setup is "mobile.three.com.hk".  They set it up in the shop for me, so i thought it would work.
However, if you have a non-apple product, then the APN setting is "imobile.three.com.hk".  Go figure. 

Any idea long i had to play with my phone this afternoon to figure this one out?  Finally called the hotline, and even the technician there had to go look it up!
So now i'm surfing mobile for my remaining time here...

Comments

Laurel said…
Oh no, I didn't realize it would be so complicated. I'll be using a SIM card for the first time in July. Thanks for the heads up.

Popular Posts