Remembering my mom

While I was driving home today from football my son remarked that it was the anniversary of my mother's death, one year ago today.  He told me about how one of my daughters rang him this time last year, while he was on a bus somewhere. He said he remembers seeing a wedding on that Monday, and thinking that it was strange for someone to Wed on a Monday.  It stuck in his mind.
After I dropped him off the day, and continued on my way home,  I heard on the radio that a famous singer of the 1960s died today, exactly one year after my mother.  His name was Percy Sledge, and was a favorite of my mother's.
I have a picture in my head, as a child of my mother cleaning the house. All windows open in the house, and there was never enough fresh air.  She used to sing while she was cleaning. Often old german folk songs that i did not know.  But sometimes she would turn on the hifi , (likely a term young people do not know) and put on some 78s. And one of the songs that she used to play that always stuck with me was "when a man loves a woman",  by Percy Sledge.
He passed away exactly one year to the day, after my mother.
I have that track in my Google play collection, so  I played it for the rest of the ride home. 
Sad.

Comments

Unknown said…
Be blessed. I call those "God Winks"

Popular Posts