US Embassy Frankfurt

I have been trying to get a copy of my US based credit check for some time now.  In the most recent communication i received from one of the credit agencies that i inquired about getting this credit check, i was told that i could not be completely identified.  They requested that I send a copy of my SS card to them for full identification.

So, i began to search for my SS card….When do you actually need this?  As an army brat you had to memorize your sponsor’s SSN (your dad’s), as this was needed for many things.  As such, when i received my SSN i just naturally immediately memorized it, filed my card away somewhere, and never needed it again.

After searching for a while i just accepted that it was gone, and searched the internet as to where i could get a replacement here in Germany.  After ringing the Embassy in Frankfurt i learned that i could either do it by mail, or come personally to apply for a replacement card.  As the mail method required me to send my passport to them, i opted to travel to Frankfurt, which i did this morning.

Well, upon approaching the embassy i immediately had visions of my many trips to the Houston Texas immigration service back in the early 80’s, where i had to apply for US citizenship…a story for another day.  There were many people standing outside, just waiting in the sun, and it reminded me of TV scenes where people were trying to leave a country!  Not really very nice, and a bit degrading if you ask me.

In any case, upon being sent back once to my car to get rid of any electronic devices that i was carrying, i quickly got a number, entered the dedicated security building, and then proceeded on to the actual embassy.  Upon entering the embassy, i saw pictures of the President and the Vice President.  I must say that passing these pictures did make me feel a bit proud of how far America has finally come.  Plus, i also thought it pretty cool that Vice President Biden did not have a tie on in the picture.

I was told to go up one floor, and wait until my number was called.  I had number G033, but on the electronic boards I only saw numbers beginning with C and D. Accepting that it would be a long day at the embassy, and thinking of what i could do to fill it, i began to walk around the corridor.  I noticed people being called in, getting whatever their questions were processed, and then leaving.  After about an hour, some of the people that arrived after me where being called, and the boards still only showed C’s and D’s! 

So I did what i should have done in the beginning: I asked someone if i needed to wait.  Short response: Nope, just give us your application, and within 5 minutes I received an official document that my SSN would be coming in the mail in about 4-5 weeks.

Lesson learned: ASK!!!

Comments

Popular Posts