Priorities

We had a bit of an event last night, and it robbed part of my sleep.
One of our daughters had a "night out" in one of the big discoteques in Cologne. It was under 18 night, and so she and some of her friends planned to attend. To avoid them driving in cars with some other youths, or train rides, my wife and I decided to take them. Dropping them off at 7, my wife and I spent the evening shopping, walking around Cologne and just relaxing, waiting for the call to pick them up again around midnight.
Well, about 11:30 i get the call from my daughter that something terrible has happened: her mobile was stolen from her pocket book. The disco was overfilled, thousands of people, a group of young men cornered her to distract her, and someone grabbed it out of her pocket book. Gone.
I woke up this morning finally realizing why I was upset about this event. It's not so much that a very good mobile phone is now gone (S2). I think I'm upset because my daughter was not attentive enough to sense danger when it approached. She was not thinking that something like this could happen, and did not conduct herself accordingly. Further, i guess i'm upset because someone dared to do this to my daughter, my little girl, thereby endangering her!
As a result, i woke up this morning concluding, perhaps a bit late, that i'm happy that "only" her mobile was lost, and nothing more serious. I don't want to think about all of the things that might have transpired if she had confronted the thief, or if the group of thieves were more aggressive in their actions!
I guess, as often in life, we chalk this up to "experience", and hope that my daughter is one life experience richer and learns from it!
There, hope i feel better now!

Comments

Popular Posts